David Nash has been lucky to have worked lots of interesting jobs in his life, he is a former U.S. Marine Corps non-commissioned officer, correctional supervisor, firearms/use of force instructor, emergency management planner, Emergency Operations Center supervisor, radiological response trainer, author, podcaster, and personal reliance advocate.
David an alumni of Jacksonville State University where he earned a BS in Emergency Management with a minor in Homeland Security.
David believes in continual education, and spends a large amount of time and resources attending new training and learning how to teach a wide variety of related topics.
Among David’s many licenses are Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit Instructor, Tennessee Certified Security Guard Trainer, OCAT Pepper Spray Instructor, and Monadnock Advanced Baton Instructor. As well as former certifications as a Utah Concealed Firearm Instructor, North Dakota Concealed Weapon Test Administrator,
He has completed numerous additional courses though the Department of Homeland Security in such subjects as: Emergency Management, Response to Terrorist Attacks, Hazardous Materials, Radiological Response, Search and Rescue, and Critical Incident Stress.
David is a state certified Hazardous Material Technician, and has completed many courses in the area of WMD and Terrorism response.
He also has an active membership in the Emergency Management Association of Tennessee, and has received their highest certification, Emergency Management Professional.
David has taken over 2000 hours of in person formal training in multiple disciplines, including many courses dealing with instructor development and Train the Trainer (TtT). David has also taken hundreds of independent study courses to keep abreast of changing technology in adult learning.
To show his training depth, here are a few of the formal classroom training he has received:
- Advanced Radiological Incident Operation Course
- Basic Beekeeping Course
- Certified Hazardous Materials Technician
- Communications Unit Leader
- Critical Incident Stress Management: Group Crisis Intervention
- Emergency Management Support Teams
- Emergency Response to Terrorism: Basic Concepts
- Emergency Vehicle Operation Course
- Fundamental Course for Radiological Response
- Glock Armorer
- TEMA GPS/Land Navigation Course
- Hazardous Materials Team Operations
- Incident Command System- Train the Trainer
- Incident Response to Terrorist Bombing Train the Trainer
- Inland Search and Rescue Planning
- Instructor Methodology
- Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents
- International Martial Arts Council: Defensive Tactics Instructor Course
- Law Enforcement Perspectives for CISM Enhancement
- Leadership and Influence for Tennessee
- M1A1 Tank System Mechanic Course
- Managing Search Operations
- Marine Corps Basic Infantry Course
- Marine Integrated Material Management Course
- Mass Fatalities Incident Response
- MEGGITT: FATS Instructor/Operator
- Modular Emergency Response Radiological Transportation Training Train the Trainer
- Monadnock Expandable Baton: Advanced Instructor
- Monadnock Expandable Baton: Basic Instructor
- NRA Personal Protection in The Home Instructor
- NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
- NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
- NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor
- NRA Law Enforcement Firearm Instructor for Handgun and Shotgun
- NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
- NRA Range Development Conference
- NRA Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor
- NRA Shotgun Shell Reloading Instructor
- NRA Training Counselor
- PPCI OCAT Instructor Course
- Pre-Hospital Radiation Emergency Preparedness
- Preparedness and Response to Food and Agricultural Incidents
- Principles of Emergency Management for Tennessee
- Public Information Office Basic Course
- Public Safety WMD Response Sampling Techniques
- Radiological Incident Operation Course
- Radiological Monitor and Instrumentation Course
- Radiological Series Train the Trainer
- State of Tennessee: Department of Correction Firearm Instructor
- State of Tennessee: Managing Performance
- State of Tennessee: Performance Evaluation
- State of Tennessee: Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy: Firearm Instructor
- TN Dept. of Agriculture Apiary Inspector
- TN EOC Management and Operations Course
- WMD/Nuclear Hazardous Materials Technicians Course
David believes that knowledge, skills, and attitude – as well as proper mindset, trump having the newest or fanciest gear. David is a DIY prepper, and likes to think of himself as a prepper macgyver that is able to take academic knowledge to formulate on the spot solutions to a wide variety of problems.
He doesn’t teach from a high academic pedestal, spouting what he once heard somewhere, or spend the majority of class time with war stories designed to stroke ego. He spends class time teaching what he knows works and passing on both what is needed to know to get the job done.