Cheap Beehive Stand
Its no secret I am an internet commando – when the good idea fairy sprinkles the little light bulb dust on my head its off to the races to see if anyone else has been blessed (or cursed) with the same idea. The other day on youtube I saw a video by TheOhioCountryboy and modified his awesome idea to fit my needs.
Basically I wanted to get my hives off of the concrete blocks they were on as well as make them sit more level (my yard is on a hill). All I used were two 2x4x8 boards, a 5 ft piece of rebar, and some paint.
I cut each board into a 5 ft section and 3 1 ft sections. I then nailed the 1ft boards every foot of the long boards making what looks like a ladder. I then drilled 4 holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the rebar, and after cutting the rebar into 4 18 inch sections, pounded the rebar into the holes, and gave the whole thing a coat of white paint.
My idea of using the rebar as legs was to be able to keep animals from being able to climb up onto the stand, but I did not take into consideration the weight of the hives. I had about 6 full medium hive bodies and 4 more in various stages of honey storage. Each full 8 frame medium super of honey weights around 40 pounds, so it should NOT have surprised me when the rebar began sinking into the ground (but it did). If I did this again, I would have used 2×4’s as legs.
To tell the truth, if I did this again, I would have just made two of the hive stands like TheOhioCountryboy and just bought another hive (even though the wife would question the need for 5 beehives)…
Who Else Wants to SAVE the Honey Bees... And Have a Lot of FUN Doing It?
You've Just Found the Easiest Way To Get Started Beekeeping!
- Get All The Equipment You Need Now
- Make a Real Difference For the Environment
- Start Having Years of Fun... And Pass It On To Your Kids and Grandkids!
Are You an Awesome Beekeeper... Or Do You Want to Be?
Our Bee Hive Starter Kit Gives You Everything You Need (Except the Bees!) to Work Like the Pros
- All the equipment you need
- Easy to lift, high quality wood, 6-5/8" depth 8 frame Langstroth supers
- All the tools you'll need, bee veil, gloves, smoker and fuel, hive tool
- Perfect For Beginners and Pros Alike
- Comes unassembled, only basic carpentry skills required
You Get All This!
- Two 8-frame 6-5/8 inch wooden supers
- 16 6 1/4 inch grooved top bar frames
- 16 Sheets plastic based foundation
- One Bottom board
- One Telescoping metal cover
- One Inner cover
- One Reversible entrance reducer
- One Entrance feeder
- One All purpose hive tool
- One Protective Bee Veil
- One Sting resistant gloves
- One Bee smoker to calm bees
- One Smoker fuel 1 lb.
- Book: First Lessons in Beekeeping
- Assembly instructions
- Ship wt. 50 lbs
BuildaBeehive has been in this business a long time, and we stand behind our products. If you're not completely satisfied for any reason, simply contact us to arrange a return we will give you back your money! But Please Don't Wait... We Have Limited Supply On Hand
*** Click the Button at the Top of This Page To Get Your Discounted Kit! ***