David Nash has been lucky to have worked lots of interesting jobs in his life, he is a former U.S. Marine Corps non-commissioned officer, correctional supervisor, correctional academy instructor, firearms/use of force instructor, emergency management planner, Emergency Operations Center supervisor, radiological response trainer, author, podcaster, and personal reliance advocate.
He grew up the son of a park ranger and spent a lot of time growing up alone in he woods.
When not working, writing, or shooting DIY videos for his YouTube channel he spends time building his own little homestead in middle Tennessee.
He is married to Genny Nash, a true sweetheart who’s calling is to teach middle school children with autism and severe cognitive delays. Together they are the proud parents of a wildly independent 3 year old named WT. Little WT is obsessed with heavy equipment and wants to drive backhoes in space while catching bad guys – or join the paw patrol. Right now he stays busy as a peer model for a special needs classroom to help pre-k students develop stronger social skills.
Dave an alumni of Jacksonville State University where he earned a BS in Emergency Management with a minor in Homeland Security.
David believes in continual education, and spends a large amount of time and resources attending new training and learning how to teach a wide variety of related topics.
He has completed numerous courses though the Department of Homeland Security in such subjects as: Emergency Management, Response to Terrorist Attacks, Hazardous Materials, Radiological Response, Search and Rescue, and Critical Incident Stress.
David is a state certified Hazardous Material Technician, and has completed many courses in the area of WMD and Terrorism response.
He has earned the Emergency Management Association of Tennessee’s highest certification, Emergency Management Professional.
David has taken over 2000 hours of in person formal training in multiple disciplines, including many courses dealing with instructor development and Train the Trainer (TtT). David has also taken hundreds of independent study courses to keep abreast of changing technology in adult learning.
To show his training depth, here are a few of the formal classroom training he has received:
- Advanced Radiological Incident Operation Course
- Basic Beekeeping Course
- Certified Hazardous Materials Technician
- Communications Unit Leader
- Critical Incident Stress Management: Group Crisis Intervention
- Emergency Management Support Teams
- Emergency Response to Terrorism: Basic Concepts
- Emergency Vehicle Operation Course
- Fundamental Course for Radiological Response
- Glock Armorer
- TEMA GPS/Land Navigation Course
- Hazardous Materials Team Operations
- Incident Command System- Train the Trainer
- Incident Response to Terrorist Bombing Train the Trainer
- Inland Search and Rescue Planning
- Instructor Methodology
- Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents
- International Martial Arts Council: Defensive Tactics Instructor Course
- Law Enforcement Perspectives for CISM Enhancement
- Leadership and Influence for Tennessee
- M1A1 Tank System Mechanic Course
- Managing Search Operations
- Marine Corps Basic Infantry Course
- Marine Integrated Material Management Course
- Mass Fatalities Incident Response
- MEGGITT: FATS Instructor/Operator
- Modular Emergency Response Radiological Transportation Training Train the Trainer
- Monadnock Expandable Baton: Advanced Instructor
- Monadnock Expandable Baton: Basic Instructor
- NRA Personal Protection in The Home Instructor
- NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
- NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
- NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor
- NRA Law Enforcement Firearm Instructor for Handgun and Shotgun
- NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
- NRA Range Development Conference
- NRA Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor
- NRA Shotgun Shell Reloading Instructor
- NRA Training Counselor
- PPCI OCAT Instructor Course
- Pre-Hospital Radiation Emergency Preparedness
- Preparedness and Response to Food and Agricultural Incidents
- Principles of Emergency Management for Tennessee
- Public Information Office Basic Course
- Public Safety WMD Response Sampling Techniques
- Radiological Incident Operation Course
- Radiological Monitor and Instrumentation Course
- Radiological Series Train the Trainer
- State of Tennessee: Managing Performance
- State of Tennessee: Performance Evaluation
- TN Dept. of Agriculture Apiary Inspector
- TDOC Basic Correctional Officer (high shooter, top academic, superintendent’s award)
- TDOC Training for Trainers
- TDOC Firearm Instructor
- TN EOC Management and Operations Course
- WMD/Nuclear Hazardous Materials Technicians Course
David believes that knowledge, skills, and attitude – as well as proper mindset, trump having the newest or fanciest gear. David is a DIY prepper, and likes to think of himself as a prepper macgyver that is able to take academic knowledge to formulate on the spot solutions to a wide variety of problems.
He doesn’t teach from a high academic pedestal, spouting what he once heard somewhere, or spend the majority of class time with war stories designed to stroke ego. He spends class time teaching what he knows works and passing on both what is needed to know to get the job done.
David Nash. Understanding the Use of Handguns for Self Defense, Looseleaf Law Publications, 2011
David Nash. 52 Projects for Self Reliance, Skyhorse Publishing, 2013
David Nash. 52 Food Preservation Projects, Skyhorse Publishing, 2015
David Nash. 52 Prepper Projects for Kids, Skyhorse Publishing, 2016
David Nash, The Prepper’s Guide to Foraging, Skyhorse Publishing, Contracted
David Nash. Building the 100 Dollar Homestead, Skyhorse Publishing, Contracted
David Nash. “The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency” International Association of Emergency Managers Bulletin, Vol. 24 No. 6, June 2007
David Nash. “The Critical Incident Stress Debriefing: An Operational Guide.”
9-1-1- Magazine, July 2008
Triune: If disaster strikes, how well would you survive?
Baxter, Sandy; The Tennessean; Aug 29, 2012; pg. n/a;
More Tennessee women carry guns
Christian Bottorff; The Tennessean; Mar 7, 2007; pg. A.1;
Run and hide or defend yourself
Vivi Hoang; The Tennessean; Feb 13, 2006; pg. D.1;
Phil Valentine; The Phil Valentine Show; October 30, 2012
Doomsday Preppers; No One Will Be Ready, Season 3, episode 13