Today’s recipe for s homemade taco salad bowl is a favorite go-to recipe at our house. It is cheap, easy, tasty, and since the tortilla’s are baked instead of fried it is healthier than the store bought versions.
Basically all you are doing is lightly rubbing oil on flour tortillas, forming them slightly, and then baking them until crisp. I have tried just about every method of forming the shells (except the store bought formers), and find that taller forms such as mason jars give a better defined shell, but I like the shallower and wider shells that are made by using ceramic bowls.
If you are having difficulty forming your shells, you can try to microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds – which will make them much more pliable, but I think this is unnecessary.
For those that want directions here they are:
- Burrito-size flour tortillas
- Olive oil or Canola oil
- Oven-safe bowls or canning jars
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, place the bowls or jars upside down, evenly spacing them to make room for the tortillas that will be draped over them.
- Microwave the tortillas for about 30 seconds, until they are soft and pliable.
- Rub a teaspoon or so of oil on the front and back of the tortilla. It doesn’t need to be a heavy coating of oil, just enough to help the tortilla crisp up and not stick to the form.
- Drape each tortilla over a bowl
- Gently press the sides down to help them form more of a bowl shape.
Non-Stick Tortilla Shell Makers- Set of 4Bake delicious shells and baskets for salads, dips and fruit.Metal with non stick finish. Easy clean up.Great for dinner parties. Dishwasher safe.Approximate size of each: 6.5" X 6.5" X 2.5"Set of 4