Today we are going to talk about a food storage tip that is both frugal and useful. We are going to show how to make (and to some extent use) Magic Mix.
The majority of convenience mixes you buy at the store are just flavored magic mix – The cheese flavored powder in mac&cheese, ranch dressing powder, white gravy powder, cream of anything soup is (well we will save that for a later post)…
If you know how to make magic mix and have access to spices you can make a multitude of foods for pennies on the dollar.
So what is this Stuff? Magic Mix is a mix made from powdered milk, butter and flour.
- Combine 2 1/3 cup of powdered milk, 1 cup ALL PURPOSE flour, 1 Cup (2 sticks) of room temperature Margarine or Butter (must be one of those two – NOT SPREAD)
- Mix until it reaches the consistency of corn meal
- Store tightly covered in your refrigerator
- To use your Magic Mix to make a White Sauce (1 cup)
- Combine 2/3 cup Mix and 1 cup water in a saucepan
- Stir rapidly over medium heat until it begins to bubble
That’s it – and you can use this sauce in any recipe that calls for a white or cream sauce.