It is not always possible to cook on a grill, but as we prefer to buy our beef in bulk. We end up with more steaks than we normally would buy for ourselves.
This means that I need to be able to cook my steaks on those days when I don’t feel like busting out the grill.
This is a pretty much foolproof way to cook a steak indoors.
Unlike many of my videos, this one has had no trolling, just about everyone that has tried the method has agreed that it works very well.
How to Cook Steak without a Grill
- Steak (Ribeye works best)
- Salt/Black Pepper/Spices to taste
- Rub the steak in oil (on both sides) and rub your spice mix over the oil – I like a mix of garlic/onion powder and red pepper flakes – but it is really your taste that matters.
- Put a cast iron skillet in the oven and turn it to 500 degrees F
- After the oven preheats, turn a stove eye on to high
- Put the preheated skillet on the red hot eye
- Throw the steak in the skillet and let it sizzle and sear for 30 seconds on each side
- Insert the skillet with the steak back into the oven and cook for 2 minutes*
- Open the oven and flip the steak cooking it an additional 2 minutes for medium rare (times are approximate based upon your oven and size of steak), an additional 2 Medium, and 2 more for well done.
- Take the steak out of the oven, remove it from skillet to a plate
- Cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes
*I like a rare Steak, so I did not flip it in the video and got a very nice steak.
As you can see in the video the steak turned out wonderfully, it was tender and juicy as well as seared to perfection. Plus you have to love the smoke and sizzle that comes from slapping a hunk of meat on a 500 degree piece of iron.
While I think few things taste better than a steak grilled over an open fire, sometimes it just isn’t worth it to get out the grill. Or it may be raining or snowing, or in the middle of a hurricane – but you pretty much can always use this indoor method of How to Cook Steak without a Grill.