Since WT was born my wife has turned from wife to MOM…
She is absolutely fanatical about getting his clothes clean. Not clean, as much as spotless.
She is always on motherboard asking for new tips and mixtures to try to set out blackberry stains, dirt stains, kitty food (don’t ask) from WT’s shirts.
We found this DIY OxyClean works very well, and I wanted to share it with you because of its low cost and high effectiveness
OzyClean is really Oxygen bleach and it is a great all-purpose laundry helper. This is because it whitens whites, brightens up colors, and aids in stain removal.
There are a lot of similar recipes online, but most of them use Baking Soda (like I did in the video above).
However, after a few years of making and using this I realized that this DIY Oxyclean would work better if I used Washing Soda instead of Baking Soda.
There is a difference, and I did a full article on the Chemistry in a post creatively named the differences between washing and baking soda.
I took it one step further and I also show you how you can easily convert baking soda to the washing soda that really enhances my homemade OxyClean recipe below.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda (Washing Soda Works Better)
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda together until they have a paste-like consistency and then apply it to the area you want cleaned/whitened.
- Scrub it into the fabric with a sponge or cloth, then rinse with water once it’s cleaned.
Intensive cleaning action
- Mix 1 baking soda with 3 parts hydrogen peroxide (enough to cover the article of clothing you want to clean/whiten) in a pan on the stove over medium high heat.
- Boil the clothing in this mixture, stirring often to prevent the bubbles from boiling over.
Continue to stir until the fabric is white/stains are gone, etc.
- Wash the clothing as normal.
When you are as messy as I am, and as prone to wearing a good shirt to work on a project that just popped into your head – as well as having a crazy little toddler – a DIY oxyclean substitute is pretty handy.