This really ought not to be called ghee as true ghee in India is made more with yogurt than butter, but here in America the distinction between ghee and clarified butter is not as strongly enforced.
My wife likes ghee because she can use it on her whole 30 diet, I like it because it has a smoke point of 482 degrees Fahrenheit.
I will share the method to make Ghee that I most often use. I tend to make this often as it is a perfered oil in my wife’s 21 day fix eating plan.
How to Make Clarified Butter
- One Pound of UNSALTED butter
- Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium.
- The butter will form a foam which will disappear.
- Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan.
- Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture.
Ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.