I was surfing the internet the other day and found the coolest family – they have a neat website that happens to be their YouTube channel name (mylittlehomestead.com)
This family of 6 moved from the city to the county and lived in a 24 foot trailer while they hand built their own home. – (earthbag under cob).
Their channel is really cool – the kids build all manner of things, and I got some great ideas from them.
The youngest girl makes some good cooking videos – and one of them was a recipe for homemade cereal. I took this one and modified it a bit (my wife says this is a make again and ate a bowl as soon as it cooled)…
- 2 cubes of butter (1 Cup)
- teaspoon of Salt
- 2 Cups of sugar (this is flexible – I used one cup cane sugar, 1 cup honey, and a bit of maple syrup)
- 2 pounds of Oats – Instant or regular
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Put butter, sugar and salt in sauce pan over medium heat until the butter is melted and sugar is somewhat dissolved.
- Butter a roaster pan to keep oats from sticking.
- Pour in the oats.
- Mix in the butter/sugar sauce until all the oats are somewhat moist.
- Bake for 45 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir and place back into the oven with the lid off for 15 minutes to brown the top.
Eat plain or add cranberries, raisins or any type of dried fruit. I mixed in dried apples, strawberries, and bannanas that I had left over from the Excalibur review.
But no matter how you like to eat your cereal, you really ought to check out the mylittlehomestead channel – those parent’s are raising some fine kids who are making some awesome videos.