With the outhouse roof coming out well, I decided to jump into a larger paintcrete project. I have wanted to get back into rabbit breeding. Additionally, I have planned a paintcrete rabbit hutch for a few years, I just never go the gumption to actually do it.
This project is a little different than my outhouse. I am using better paint, less mortar mix, and sheets instead of window screen.
I already had the nails and the mortar mix, but the wood and paint cost me $53.00 at Lowe’s. The sheets were a few dollars at the good will, so this is a rather inexpensive project.
The biggest problem is my choice of wood. I used cheaper 2×3 lumber instead of 2z4 lumber, which caused a lot of splitting during nailing.
This has caused a lot of side to side movement, so I will need to buy more wood next paycheck.
In this project I was more consistent with my mix, and I made a much more liquid mix than I did with the outhouse.
I used a 24 ounce water bottle with the top cut off to measure the liquid and a large container of cottage cheese to measure the mortar.
Next, I used two scoops of mortar to a bottle of paint and a bottle of water. After fixing very well, I found I could easily paint this mix on the sheets.
It went on pretty easy, and when I was done, the inside of the sheet was very smoothly coated with the paintcrete mix. I actually found the inside rather attractive and finished looking – especially compared to the rough outer texture.
In the second video I show the completed hutch standing in place in my back yard.
The roof is mostly done and so is the back wall. The paintcrete rabbit hutch does need a few more coats of paintcrete to get sturdy, but the thick coats take a while to dry.
When I went to the store to get more miss-mixed paint they did not have any except some $25.00 premium paints. In looking for cheaper paint I found a $10.00 brand of PVA primer.
In doing some internet research, I found where contractors mix PVA sealer into cement to increase flexibility, reduce cracking, allow the cement to bond better, and yes to increase its ability to resist water penetration.
All of the things I am looking for. The particular paint I am using is sold as a drywall sealer, so I had no issue mixing it with mortar.
It sticks better than the other paints I have tried, costs the same as the mis-tinted paint I have been buying at a discount, and, being new paint, I can tint it. I choose a light brown color so it would look like adobe plaster because I have always been fond of that color.