Pickling is an ages old method for food preservation – its works for more than just cucumbers. As a matter of fact, pickled celery is a treat that you must try in homemade chicken salad.
Just like all pickle recipes you need to make a brine, cut up your food, pack it together and let it age. Pickled celery needs to sit at lease 24 hours after you mix everything, but I try t o wait a little longer before I throw in my egg salad or my favorite tuna fish sandwiches.
I will post the recipe below so you can easily experience the goodness of pickles celery:
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c water
- 1 1/2 T pickling spice*
- 2 t kosher salt
- 1 T sugar
- dash cayenne pepper
- 4 stalks celery
* A good pickling spice mix is: a bay leaf, 2-3 whole cloves, 2 whole allspice berries, and a teaspoon of mustard seed.
- Cut celery into 1/4 slices
- Simmer everything but the celery until the sugar and salt has dissolved.
- Fill pint jar with the celery and carefully pour the hot mixture over.
- Top with water if needed to covered the celery.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator. Pickles will be ready after 24 hours
Pickled Celery could not be any easier to make, its a great way to store celery (if processed in a water bath or kept in the refrigerator), and it tastes great.
The best thing is that this pickled celery recipe is not well known so you can surprise everyone with a new recipe…