Since I have blackberries growing along my fence, I am always looking for new blackberry recipes.
This recipe for Blackberry Dumplings is a clear winner.
Besides being simple and tasty – its also can be made in a dutch oven for a camping treat.
Try it an tell me what you think.
Blackberry Dumplings Recipe
- 1 qt Fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 c Plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 ts Lemon extract
- 1 1/2 c All-purpose flour
- 2 ts Baking powder
- 1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
- 2/3 c Milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon extract.
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg and remaining sugar and salt.
- Add milk
- Stir just until mixed. (Dough will be very thick.)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto hot blackberry mixture
- Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
- Spoon into serving dishes.
If cooking in an oven I used 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, but the recipe really is designed for a campfire.