Here is an Asian inspired Egg Drop Soup that is very simple to make and uses one of the perfect homestead proteins sources – eggs.
This is a very economical recipe that contains few ingredients in the base, but allows you to add more ingredients based upon your desires.
Egg drop soup is just eggs added to a boiling chicken broth. The eggs cook almost immediately when added to the hot broth and create thin strands in the flavorful liquid.
Many times egg drop soup is just seasoned with salt, pepper and a little green onions.
Here in America we often add corn starch to make it thicker.
Since both eggs and chicken stock are very nutritious, making this soup is a great source of nutrients. The simple nature and easy digestibility makes it easy to digest so it is a great soup to eat when feeling run down or when dealing with some kind of sickness.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- Pour the chicken stock into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger, chives and salt to the liquid and allow it to come to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs
- As the broth continues to boil, use a fork and drizzle the eggs into the pot. The eggs should cook immediately.