This year the wife has forbid me from trying to sow seeds in the garden this year – she told me she wants me to start with established plants like her parents do. She has good reason to do so, because my historical ratio of seeds planted/Food harvested is embarrassing.
I got a cup of beans, a squash, and a couple handfuls of blackberries last year. However, whenever I am “forbidden” from doing something I channel my inner John Locke. “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!!!”. Therefore I found a loophole in the law. I am going to plant established plants, but I am not going to buy them. I am going to grow them indoors…
This means I need seed pots, and so I bought a Paper Pot Maker and tried it out.
I did not want to buy any more of those horrendous “jiffy” greenhouses. Somehow I keep buying them, and never get good results. B besides from a prepper standpoint, they are not really sustainable. What happens if you cannot buy more of those little dry pellets?
I have known about the wooden pot maker that makes seed pots from recycled newspaper for some time, but I just never got up the gumption to try it until the wife gave me a reason to. So I just ponied up the $20 and ordered one – ended up costing me $50 though because I cannot justify shipping on just one item so I got an apple corer and another mandolin slicer at the same time (which caused the wife to question why I keep getting packages in the mail….)
My first impression was that it was much bigger than I imagined the wooded device to be. It is pretty hefty, and had a nice smooth, almost waxy finish – which works to release the pots. I went straight down to the workbench and made a couple.
The directions are simple and printed on the box. (I will paraphrase them)
- Cut a strip of newspaper 4-6 inches wide and roll up on the pot maker.
- Press ends around base of maker and smash with wooden base.
- Slide off, fill with soil, plant seed – entire pot is planted in garden so as not to disturb root ball.
That’s it – pretty simple.
I did tend to cut too wide of a strip – easily remedied by ripping off excess in a similar fashion to how some of us menfolk try to wrap Christmas gifts and cut away the excess paper around the edges. (that might just be me)
I also like to really grind the base into the wooden mandrel, I don’t know if it made a better seal, but I felt like it did.
It felt a little awkward to pull the flimsy pot off of the wooded die, but once it was filled with dirt, I was very satisfied with the process.
I think this is a great product, and for what it is, and for what it would take to make one (for those of us without a wood lathe) is a good value and I wish I would have bought one several years ago.
Now all I have to hope for is that my seeds grow and I can harvest some vegetables this year because I don’t know how much more I can spend on gardening tools, seeds, and raised beds without showing some harvest…