Tornadoes are Mother Nature’s most feared events because they are her most destructive force.
Don’t wait for a warning! The more ready for emergency your home/business is, the safer you are; second, any thunderstorm can produce tornadoes.
Conditions are right for tornadoes to form in the listed area. Pay close attention to the situation.
Tornadic activity has been spotted by qualified personnel or on radar in the warned area. Take cover immediately!
- Don’t try to put together any supplies at this point; the time to make a disaster kit was before the disaster!
- Likewise, this is no time to be guessing where to go. Knowing this in advance is a key part of the disaster plan you should have already put together.
- If you don’t have a tornado shelter as such, your best inside bet is a basement, followed by an interior room on the building’s lowest level. Do not stop to open windows; if your safest place has windows and/or exterior doors, keep as far from them as possible.
- If you see a funnel, and if communication is possible after you reach shelter, notify the authorities.
- If you’re outside – including in a vehicle – when you hear a warning or see a funnel, find a ditch or depression, lie flat in it and cover your head with your hands.
- Straight-line winds, or downbursts, are different from tornadoes but can be just as destructive. This is another reason to take a severe thunderstorm watch or warning just as seriously as you would a tornado advisory.