Like safe driving, traveling safely is just common sense and paying attention.
When I was a young marine deployed overseas I learned that the world is a dangerous place if you don’t pay attention.
If you would like some common sense tips on traveling safely, please continue reading:
- If you are driving, make sure your vehicle has been properly serviced and is in suitable condition for the journey.
- Try to have specific directions and routes to your destination.
- If you get lost, call the local police for directions or assistance.
- Always keep your vehicle doors and windows locked.
- At stoplights and other traffic delays, leave enough space in front of your vehicle so that you have an escape option in case of an emergency.
- Let someone know the route you intend to travel and your itinerary. This will help authorities in locating you if there is a need to do so.
- Plan your trip carefully and allow for factors such as weather, fatigue, facilities for lodging, food and fuel. Be sure you have sufficient finances, either cash, traveler’s checks or credit cards.
- If you want to save even more while traveling, camping is a great way to save money while traveling.
- Ask the hotel or motel staff about their security measures so you know what to expect. Use the hotel safe to store your valuables during your stay.