Lighting is very important for Preppers, campers, and honestly everybody else.
Today’s article will show how to make a lamp out of an old wine bottle.
This works well as a tiki torch, and can be used outside with citronella oil to repel bugs.
Besides being a source of light and a way to repel bugs, this is a classy piece of decoration as well as an excuse to buy more wine.
Of course if you don’t want to buy more wine you can always make some homemade wine.
- Empty Wine Bottle – Use any kind glass bottle with a 1” diameter neck
- Teflon Tape
- Copper Top Plate Connector (threaded for 3/8”-16 thread rod)
- 1” Split Ring Hanger (threaded for 3/8”-16 thread rod)
- 1/2” x 3/8” Copper Coupling
- 1/2” Copper Cap
- Two Hex Nuts (threaded for 3/8”-16 thread rod)
- Two #10 x 1” Zinc Plated Wood Screws (if your mounting it to wood)
- 3/8”-16 Zinc Plated Threaded Rod (a 3’ rod will cut down to 8, 4-1/2” rods)
- Tiki Replacement Wick
- Torch Fuel
- Channel lock pliers
- Adjustable wrench
- Position the Top Plate Connector on your mounting surface and mark the holes for where the screws will go.
- Install Plate connector and screw in the 3/8”-16 Rod until it stops.
- Thread the two Hex Nuts on to the Rod and tighten one all the way down at the point where the Rod meets the Top Connector Plate. Leave the other Hex Nut at the front end so it can be used to secure the Split Ring Hanger.
- Thread on the Split Ring Hanger just enough so that the Rod is flush with the inside of the ring. Turn the 2nd Hex Nut counter-clockwise to snug it up against the Split Ring Hanger.
- Carefully and tightly wrap the 1/2” end of the Coupling with your Teflon Tape.
- Continue building up the tape until it fits very snugly into the opening of your bottle.
- Insert the Wick into the Coupling until it sticks out about 1/4”.
- The Tiki replacement wicks are about 3/8” in diameter so they fit well.
- Unscrew the Split Ring Hanger on one side and position the bottle neck into the ring.
- Flip the front half of the ring back into place and tighten down the Hanger evenly on both sides. You may need to loosen the other side to make sure both sides are an even tightness. (Don’t over tighten the Hanger. You don’t want to break the glass.)
- Use a funnel to fill the bottle with your favorite torch oil.
- Insert the Coupling & Wick into the top of the bottle and twist it snugly into place. Give the Wick a few minutes to absorb the oil before you try to light it.
Use the Copper Cap to keep the Wick dry when you’re not using your torch.