I am partial to Storey’s books, they are great all around reference books. While it is not as complete as a book dedicated to a single topic, Basic Country Skills gives basic information on a variety of topics. Which is great if either your knowledge is limited, and you need to know basics, or you space is limited. Either way, this is a great book to have in your prepper library.
Inside Storey’s Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance you will find illustrated instructions on topics such as:
- Finding country land
- Buying, building, and renovating a home
- Developing water sources and systems
- Understanding wiring, plumbing, and heating
- Using alternative heating and energy sources
- Vegetable, flower, and herb gardening
- Traditional cooking skills such as baking bread and making maple syrup
- Preparing and preserving meat, fruits, and vegetables
- Building and maintaining barns, sheds, and outbuildings
- Caring for common farm and ranch animals, and pets
As I said, I really like the Storey books, and I have several of them. This one and the guide to rabbits are two that I use most often though. I would recommend any prepper or homesteader look at Storey publishing as their titles are perfect for you.